Saturday 7 July 2012

The ultimate planning template

I'm always on the quest to find/develop the best template for planning.

Alongside the changes with flexible spaces in the classroom I wanted to run more workshop based learning as I'm aware of the diverse range of needs across the classroom - in particular within the area of literacy.

This meant I really wanted to run my weekly reading and writing plans together along with personalised learning options. (Previously I had been running my personalised learning tasks as week long tasks but found most students needed more scaffolding so I changed them to daily.)

This is what I've come up with so far. It is a work in progress and I will reassess the managibility of it as I go. My biggest issue that I can already see - but not sure how to get around - is that it will be 6 pages long each week. One page for the overview plus one page per day.

What do you think?



I've just had a middle of the night thought! Theoretically, I could just put the day part of the plan up on the board and the children "sign in" directly onto the plan if they're going to participate in a workshop. They will also be able to see their must-dos and can-dos, saving me the time to re-rewrite them....

2 comments:

  1. Alice - your planning looks amazing and makes me feel totally inadequate! I would love to be a fly on the wall of your room and watch the structure of your literace time! On a good day, I see a group re writing, one re reading and one re work on words... I love that you have room for so many workshops and the children opt in... I would love to talk more about how you track children... Can't wait to hear about how term 3 starts for you and your lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire - 6 pages is going to be a big task to undertake for planning. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I feel I need to point out that this is never-before-seen in my classroom, so it's quite possible that it will be chaos and that 6 workshops is far too many. That said - two of the daily spaces will regularly be taken up by two reading groups that need some extra support to read daily. Tracking the children is something that might be worked out as I go as I have not yet come up with great way to do that. Taking photos will not work efficently for me as I'm still on a digital camera that would mean uploading photos, cutting and pasting and printing. I had thought a grid with the class down one side and the workshops along the top and I colour in the boxes for who's attending which workshop - BUT that is more paperwork (which I'm not really into). It would however let me see who my high attendees are as well as most/least popular workshops.
    Thanks for your comment, it's given me loads more to think about.

    ReplyDelete