Sunday 8 May 2011

Whole Brain Teaching

At the beginning of this term I decided to implement Whole Brain Teaching strategies that I had been looking into and researching only for a little while.
I have found that the children are more engaged and are cementing their learning a little more than they were. It has made me more aware of my teaching strategies and different learning needs within the classroom. So far it has had a very positive effect.
I have so far used the 5 rules, class-yes, teach-ok, and the scoreboard with the 'mighty oh yeah' and the 'mighty groan'. After initially learning these, we have spent the rest of the week with reminders about how they work and the expectations - just a ONE second party, no longer!
The scoreboard in particular is a very powerful tool.... when I remember to use it. And also the difficulty is that it is on the board and often I'm not stationed near the scoreboard.
However, we will keep persevering and I'm sure it will be very effective.

If you have not seen or heard of whole brain teaching (aka power teaching) then I suggest you check out the website, but first search 'whole brain teaching' on you tube and watch a couple of clips.

No comments:

Post a Comment